How Do I Become a Volunteer?
You must complete the volunteer application form when it is available, and attend the mandatory orientation and kennel training.
Who Can Be a Volunteer?
We welcome our volunteers. At PHS our volunteer program includes: Adults (18 years+), Juniors (15-17 years), Companies and Social Groups, Community Service Programs, College Interns and Vet School Interns.
We even offer a Summer Workshop Program for 13-14 year olds through our Educational Outreach Department. All participants receive volunteer credit.
Are You Interested in Becoming a PHS Volunteer?
Do you love spending time with animals? If so, we need you! We have multiple ways to get involved in a volunteer capacity at Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA. Our volunteer opportunities include:
- ADOPTION COUNSELOR & TRANSPORT - After additional classes and extensive training in the kennels, adopt animals available for placement both at the shelter and in the Mobile Unit. Volunteers also relocate animals to rescue sites and sanctuaries.
- BARKS & BOOKS - Offer children the opportunity to read animal related short stories of their choice to your companion animal.
- BEHAVIOR VOLUNTEER - Assist with dog training classes; help assess behavior of shelter animals; participate in animal handling and behavior workshops. Train shelter animals to make them more adoptable.
ANIMAL THERAPY PROGRAM - Take your own well-socialized pets to visit with residents of convalescent homes & hospitals, and other special care facilities.
- DOG/CAT SOCIALIZER - Provide support by socializing animals in the shelter's kennels and cat ward. Greet & assist the public.
- FOSTER CARE - After application and screening by Health Staff, take young or injured animals home for one-on-one care and return animals to shelter for adoption or release.
- HEALTH/CLINIC STAFF ASSISTANT - Assist with preparations and aftercare for spay/neuter surgery; help health staff administer vaccinations and treatment and care for sick and injured animals.
- LOST AND FOUND PET AIDE - Work to reunite owners with their lost pets through kennel inspection, newspaper ads, etc.
- PUBLIC RELATIONS & MOBILE UNIT After orientation, help bring adoptable animals to public events on our 32 foot Mobile Outreach Unit. Assist in PHS events promoting the mission of PHS. Public Relations Volunteers are needed to represent PHS at special events. Our Public Relations Volunteers must have the ability to meet deadlines and be flexible with job assignments.
- VOLUNTEER ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT - Assist office staff by answering phones, filing and processing mailings, computer data entry, pet supply sales & displays. Volunteers are needed to assist Volunteer Services, Special Events, the Front Office or Financial Development departments with general office duties, clerical duties, and data entry. Must be at least 15 years of age, and have legible handwriting and recording ability.
- STEP UP - Take shelter dogs for walks in the park. Learn how to read canine body language, recognize signs of disease; safely and humanely handle dogs; collar leash and teach dogs to walk nicely on leash.
- VETERINARIAN'S ASSISTANT - Help Vet with basic care of sick or injured animals, assist in surgery area.
- WILDLIFE ASSISTANT - Assist with temporary care of wildlife at our shelter, including preparing food, feeding, cleaning and transportation to rehabilitation centers.