Being prepared for a disaster can save your pets' lives. Most importantly, if you must evacuate, do not leave your animals behind. We recommend that you keep the following items in a secure easy to reach location, such as inside your pet carriers, ready to grab and go:
- a week's supply of food, water, litter and pan bowls, sealed in water-proof containers
- current ID tags on your pet at all times (we recommend microchipping all pets, ask your vet for details)
- current color photos (in case your pet is lost) and pre-made LOST posters, preferably with a cell phone number and out-of-area alternate contact
- a list of safe places to take your pets, including hotels within driving distance that accept pets
- If you do leave your pets at home, print out this emergency sticker and post it on your front door to notify emergency response teams. Right-click the image and select "Save as..."
Here are some excellent online articles detailing step-by-step preparation and disaster plans: