Thank you for your interest in adopting a pet!
Adopting an animal may be more involved than you realize. Keep in mind that: 1) everything we do is aimed at getting the best permanent home possible for the animals and 2) everyone who comes to PHS to adopt an animal goes through the same process. Our adopters must apply in person, be at least 18 years old and have a current photo ID.
The process takes a minimum of 30-45 minutes. Here is what will happen:
- Take a walk through the animal areas and write down the ID number or “A” number on the kennel card of any animal that interests you. Bring this list to the adoption office.
- Then complete the application for adoption. (You do this before visiting with any of the animals in order to minimize stress for the animals.)
- Next, a member of the adoptions staff will meet with you and ask questions about your experience, and discuss the information we have about your potential pet. You can ask questions, too, about spay/neuter, training classes, or anything else you can think of.
- You may be asked to obtain your landlord’s approval for the adoption. This policy helps us reduce the number of animals that are returned to us.
- After you have spoken with an adoptions staff member, you will visit with your potential pet. Eventually, we ask that all members of your family meet the animal, too. If you are adopting a dog and have another dog, we want them to get along well, so we arrange a time for you to bring in your pet for a visit.
- When your new pet is ready to go home with you, you will be asked to sign an adoption contract and pay an adoption fee. The fee helps to cover the cost of surgery, vaccines and daily care that your pet received.
If you have more questions, please email email@example.com